A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2023-08-05

School Days - Sepia Saturday 684

  

For this Saturday, and the August theme of School Days, I'm presenting two photos from my dad's primary/elementary school years. I know that at least for the first three years he went to a small school only a very short way from home, and the kind of school where grades 1-3 were taught together in one group (because there weren't all that many pupils). Whether they also taught grade 4-6 in the same building, or if he then had to go to a different school up in the main village, I'm not sure. In his teens, he went on to attend a secondary school in town, and then I assume he probably commuted by train, into town, as there was a train stop very close to their house. (The trains back then used to make several stops between the railway stations in the village /Fristad/ and that in town /Borås/.)

Anyway, these photos are from Dad's photo album, and according to his own notes, the first photo is from småskolan (first three years of primary/elementary school), and the second photo is from what he calls folkskolan (by which he probably means the next three years). 

Från småskolan ...

 

... och  Folkskolan

One or two readers with extraordinarily good memory may recognise my dad by now - but for the rest of you, the clue is that he's the only one wearing glasses - and also (again) very serious-looking... ;-) (Further clue: You'll find him in the middle of the 1st photo, and bottom right in the 2nd.)

As the school theme is going to continue through August, I may be back with some more photos from his secondary school years in another post. (Next week I'll hopefully I'll be off on a mini holiday for a couple of days, though, so will probably be skipping No 685.)

Linking to Sepia Saturday 684




9 comments:

  1. I scanned that first photo several times and missed your father until you said in the center!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I look at class photos no matter where they're from, I'm struck with how similar they are in almost every way - the children's poses, the way it's usually the boys sitting cross-legged on the ground, girls sitting prettily behind them and usually boys also standing in the back row behind the girls. They don't seem to change much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dresses are all very pretty with lovely patterns. I agree that somehow school photos of the era have a universal look no matter the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos. What year were they taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. My dad's notes do not specify the exact year for either photo. He was born in August 1931, and both photos are likely to be from the end of a school year (in June). So 1939-41 for the first and 1942-44 for the second. (?)

      Delete
  5. Perfect photos for our theme. I remember when I was a little boy how fun and startling it was to find my mother or father in one of their school photos. Somehow the smile or dimples gave it away. My mom was an elementary school art teacher for over 25 years and she had an amazing ability to remember the names of children. She could pick them out in class photos and almost always get all their first names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these photos -- and the fact that the teachers are in them as well. Your dad looks as serious as my Uncle Fred did in this week's post about his school days -- but there appear to be quite a few other serious-looking boys joining him. Perhaps it just wasn't the fashion for boys to smile in school photos.

    ReplyDelete