A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2022-09-04

Group Portrait with Child and Dog - Sepia Saturday 637

The Sepia Saturday prompt this week made me think of this series of photos in my childhood album. It's from Pentecost 1957. Behind the camera, my grandfather Gustaf. Involved in the 'set-up' are my grandmother Sally, my grandparents' dog (Zepp), my parents - and little me (1 year 9 months old). The notes and drawings in the album were made by my mother.

Come here, Monica...

... you're going to be photograped!

Your hair is a bit messy...

Now grandpa can take the photo!


About me and the dog, there is a story that my parents and grandparents never stopped repeating to me over the years. On some occasion (I suppose when I was still about this size) someone asked me what I thought of Zepp, and my answer was: "He's a good dog, but he's in the way!" Meaning that, while in general he was a well-behaved dog, he was in the habit of lying down across door openings in the house, making it difficult for me to pass...


Linking to Sepia Saturday 637








5 comments:

  1. He was a big dog! I love the photo album pages with comments from your mother. I have some that my father wrote in and they add more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute of you and family from years ago...I mean you were cute, family was just loving older people! Very pretty dog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were certainly a cute little girl, and Zepp was a beautiful Collie (?). I can see where Zepp might have been in the way a lot for you when you were small. I think you made a very astute comment about it for a young child! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to have the photo album pages with your mom's comments and the lovely drawings. Once you were settled for the photo, Zepp nearly stole the show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pawfect choice for our theme. I think dogs make every family photo better, even when they disturb the people in the picture since dogs add some movement to otherwise posed snapshots. Whenever I'm trying to figure out a time period for a photo in my family collection, I look for the family dog and can then place the photo at least into a decade or location.

    ReplyDelete