A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2023-03-31

"Thinking of Our Cottage" - Sepia Saturday 666

Continuing the series of letters written by my grandmother Sally to my grandfather Gustaf in the year before they got married. (Sally still living at the family farm in the countryside; Gustaf in town because of his job as a journalist.)



Storegården, 4 March 1930 [Tuesday]

Darling!

This time you're getting a letter from me earlier than we decided, but I hope you won't mind. Towards the end of the week I'll be rather busy. We're going to organize washing again on Thursday or so. Tonight I'm having an evening off. I.e. I have allowed myself time off to write to you. Otherwise there's work enough to be done. Mum, Gustav and I are home alone tonight. Hildur has gone to Mölarp, and Nils is away on other business. It's almost six o'clock, and in an hour or so I'll be going out to milk the cows.

"It's almost six o'clock, and in an hour or so 
I'll be going out to milk the cows."

My cold has not quite given way yet. In the daytime I don't feel it much, but in the evenings my throat has been sore. Not sure yet how it will be tonight, not feeling anything much just yet. Yesterday we were at Länghem and while I was sitting there my throat was hurting, and also during the night.

I also did not get a lot of sleep. Mum was so worried about Nils. He went away on business in the morning and was supposed to get back home in the evening. But evening came, and night, and he still hadn't turned up. I thought he might be visiting Caj, but towards 2 a.m. I started to realise that he would not be staying there that long on a Monday night, so then I got worried too. The roads are so slippery now, making driving difficult. But when the clock had struck 2 he arrived. He had been to Gullered and that neighbourhood.

Photo from Gullered
(different year, different season)

I suppose you still haven't got your tax form. I forgot to talk to you about that. Where could it have got to? It must have got lost somehow. And dear, I forgot to send your shirts and collars [with Gustav]. I hope you won't have to go without until your next visit here.

Tomorrow night I suppose you will be visiting Bylander. How wonderful if things could be arranged soon. I'm looking forward to your letter tomorrow. [*]

Darling, on Sunday there is a [church] celebration at Komlösa and I'd be happy if you'd like to come accompany me there. Now I can see you looking glum, but I hope that will pass, as it usually does. Reverend Hasselrot will be preaching, which is why I'm keen to go.

Looks like it will be raining soon. I'm wondering if you're out walking tonight.

Well, time is ticking on and soon I'll have to go down to the cowshed.

Welcome on Sunday, my darling!

Heartfelt greetings from your Sally

Mum sends her regards. She's sitting here on the sofa, knitting socks, and thinking of our cottage, she says. She's rejoicing with us about it. [*]


[*] 


Purchasing contract for the piece of land where Gustaf and Sally were to build their "cottage" - signed 5 March 1930, by my grandfather and the seller Otto Bylander, in the presence of two witnesses. 

If not for Sally's sore throat, she might have burst into song at the news! ;-) 


Linking to Sepia Saturday 666


Storegården d. 4-3-30

Älskade!

Nu får Du brev från mig tidigare än vi bestämt, men hoppas Du inte ser illa på det. I slutet på veckan får jag rätt mycket att göra. Vi skall ställa till med tvätt igen fram på torsdag eller så. Nu i kväll har jag lite ledigt. Dvs jag har tagit mig ledigt medan jag skriver till Dig. Annars har jag ju arbete för all del. Vi äro ensamma hemma i kväll, Mamma, Gustav och jag. Hildur har gått till Mölarp och Nils är ute i andra angelägenheter. Kl är snart sex, så om en timma eller så skall jag gå ut och mjölka.

Min förkylning har inte ”gett” sig ännu. På dagen känner jag ingenting särskilt, men på kvällarna brukar jag få så ont i halsen. Vet ej hur det kommer att bli i kväll, ännu känner jag ingenting vidare till. I går kväll voro vi på Länghem och medan jag satt där fick jag så ont i halsen och sedan i natt var det rätt så ont. Jag sov heller inte många timmar i natt. Mamma var så orolig för Nils. Han reste bort i affärer på f.m. I går och skulle komma på kvällen. Kvällen kom och natten bröt in, men han kom ej. I början trodde jag att han var hos Caj, men när kl belv 2 började jag förstå att han inte var där så länge en måndagsnatt, varför även jag börjde bli orolig. Vägarna äro ju så sliriga och usla att köra nu. Men så när kl slagit 2 kom han. Han hade varit i Gullered och där bort igenom.

Du har väl inte fått Din skattsedel. Jag glömde att tala vid Dig om det. Var kan den ha blivit av? De ha väl slarvat bort den på något sätt. Min lille vän, jag glömde ju att skicka med Dina skjortor o kragar. Hoppas Du inte är utan tills Du kommer härnäst.

Ja nu kanske Du är hos Bylander* i morgon kväll. Det vore väl roligt om det bleve ordnat snart. Väntar nu brev från Dig i morgon. Älsklingen min, på söndag är det visst fest i Komlösa och då skulle jag bli bra glad om Du ville följa med mig dit. Nu ser jag hur trumpen Du blev men jag hoppas det går snart över, det brukar ju göra så. Det är kyrkoh. Hasselrot som predikar där och därför vill jag så gärna gå. 

Det ser ut som det skulle bli regn snart. Undrar om Du är ute och ”går” i kväll.

Kl går och snart måste jag gå till ladugården.

Välkommen på söndag middag, min älskling!

Hjärtevarma hälsn från Din Sally

Mamma hälsar Dig. Hon sitter här i soffan och stickar strumpor och tänker på vår stuga, säger hon. Hon gläder sig med oss åt den.

*5 Mars 1930 tecknades ett köpekontrakt mellan min farfar Gustaf och Otto Bylander, för köpet av den mark där mina farföräldrars hus sedan uppfördes under året. Köpeskillingen var 1000 kr. 






10 comments:

  1. Oh having a cold might have made it difficult to sing her joy, but her words to her fiance' are certainly full of love. Ah, milking cows. I've never done such, but know animals set time tables for those who keep them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. These old letters do bear witness that "work came before pleasure" in the daily life on the farm :)

      Delete
  2. I love reading these letters. Thank you so much for sharing them. Clever save there at the end to match the prompt! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LaN. It's been inspiring for myself to not just read them but also share them here, and try to find "matching" photos in the old albums.

      Delete
  3. We had milk goats for a number or years and her comment about milking flashed me back to those days. I would advise she gargle with vinegar water and take garlic for that sore throat. They must have been so happy to get their land. Now it's all so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I doubt she had access to any garlic... They certainly would not have been growing it on the farm! ;-)

      Delete
  4. These letters are always an insight to both your grandparents but to the era as well. Purchasing land and planning a house was once a major investment and certainly a significant commitment for a couple that technically were not yet married. My mother's parents bought their house lot in 1935 for $7,500 and I have not only the original deeds and payment receipt book but also a wooden keg that contained the nails for the construction.

    What I enjoy about your series on Sally's letters and Gerda's postcards is learning little details about their lives. Here it is Sally's worry over Nils' late arrival home. Travelers in the time before phones, good roads, and even weather reports was always fraught with a level of anxiety that we don't have anymore. People back then lived with so many more unpredictable events that could upset a journey than we do in our modern time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I myself enjoy these letters for all those little details as well :)

      Delete
  5. These letters, like your post cards, are amazing to have. I love all of the farm details, like going out at 6 to milk the cows.

    ReplyDelete