A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2023-02-17

Sally's Long Hair - Sepia Saturday 660


Nearly all her life, my grandmother Sally had really long hair. She always wore it rolled up at the back, though - so not obvious at first glance how long. 


Sally and Gustaf at the lake, late 1920s



The third photo here is the only one I've seen of her with her hair let down. However, from staying over at my grandparents' house in my childhood, I also have images "in my head" of seeing her letting her  hair down before going to bed at night. On the occasion that has stuck in my mind, she was doing her "evening toilet" at the kitchen sink (where they also had a tiny mirror on the wall)* - while I was to sleep in the kitchen sofa. 

* (Back then, the only bathroom/toilet in their house was a W.C. and a clawfoot bathtub down in the cellar - a room of grey concrete, totally devoid of any other decorations or comforts. In summer, they still used an "outhouse". There was also a small wash-basin upstairs in the room next to their bedroom, though - which in my childhood served as my grandfather's study.) 

Anyway, on this occasion she and I were in the kitchen, and I was watching her letting her hair down and brush it, and then braiding it for the night. I'd never seen anyone with hair that long before - it reached down to her waist at least. She must have been in her early 60s then, but her hair was still dark brown and shiny, with no hint of grey. I also recall her commenting: "Your grandfather never wanted me to have it cut short..." 

This memory came back to me when I read the letter below, written in October 1929 - a couple of months after she and Gustaf got officially engaged. At the time, Gustaf was living in town - working full time for a newspaper then, I think. She was still at the farm with her mum and siblings. 

From the first paragraph of the letter, it seems Sally too was looking for a job away from the farm, though. Changes were coming up for the whole family: The oldest brother, Carl, had died the autumn before. Their brother Gustav (the one who lived in America in the first decade of the century) had taken over. All three of the younger siblings - Hildur, Sally and Nils - were now engaged to be  married and planning to move away from the farm within the next year or so. Finding ways to earn and save as much money as possible for their future needs seems now to have been a priority.

- - -

Fristad 29-10-29

Darling!

Sending you a few lines in all haste. [---] I was disappointed today when Hildur got back from the post office. I had been hoping to hear back about that position, but no such luck. I'll check again tomorrow, but after that I suppose it's no use giving it further thought. There are probably lots of people applying, and perhaps some with previous experience as well.

Now, dear, I must tell you what I have done – but don't get upset. Yesterday I did something I never thought I would do. Believe it or not! I had my hair cut!

That decision was so sudden that I don't quite know myself how it came about. Sometimes I almost regret it. The result wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I even cried for a bit today. But it's done now, and I hope you won't reproach me. You did tell me before that you don't mind. 

More when we meet. I don't know if we'll be coming [into town] tomorrow, but if you don't hear from anyone before 4 pm, I hope you will come [here] tomorrow evening.

Closing now, with my warmest greetings - Yours, Sally

- - -

How Gustaf did react to her haircut, I don't know. But as far as I know, she never had it cut really short again - until, when for the last few years of her life (some years after her husband died), she moved into an old people's home up in the village. Then she did not only have it cut short, but also permed. And at that point in time, I think she was quite pleased with the change!


Sally at 76, with short and curly hair




Fristad d. 29-10-29

Älskade!

Vill i all hast sända dig några rader. --- Vet du, jag blev så besviken när Hildur kom från posten idag. Jag hade nämligen ett svagt hopp om att få höra något om den där platsen, men det hoppet slog tyvärr fel. Kanske kan det komma ännu, skall höra efetr i e.m. och i morgon bittida också, sedan är det väl ej lönt att tänka på det mera. Det var väl så många om den platsen, kanske sådana som hade vana förut.

Kära du, nu skall du få höra vad jag gjort, men bli inte ledsen. Igår kväll gjorde jag något som jag aldrig trott att jag skulle göra. Hör och häpna! Jag lät klippa mig.

Det beslutet skedde så hastigt och oförmodat att jag ej riktigt förstår själv hur det kom sig att det verkligen blev av. Ibland ångrar jag mig nästan. Det blev inte så bra som jag trodde det skulle bli. Jag har gråtit en stund i dag. Men nu är det ju gjort och jag hoppas du inte klandrar mig. Du har ju sagt förut att du inte bryr dig om det.

Mera när vi träffas. Vet inte om vi kommer i morgon, men hör du ingen av före kl 4 i morgon e.m hoppas jag du kommer i morgon kväll.

Slutar nu med hjärtevarma hälsn.

Din Sally


8 comments:

  1. What luck that she had that one photo of her long hair! And also a letter where she mentions cutting it. I never thought of doing long hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, back in my youth mine was below my shoulders, but never anywhere near as long as my grandmother's.

      Delete
  2. What a great link to the meme..."long hair." I always love to hear of your ancestor's lives...how difficult that must have been for them moving away from the farm and looking for jobs in those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, as far as I know my grandmother never did get a job outside the home, even if she seems to have been thinking of it here. My dad was born a year after my grandparents got married.

      Delete
  3. This was a lovely story and beautiful photos to illustrate her letter. My great grandmother who was born in 1882 also had very long hair that she always kept braided and tied in a bun. Like Sally she was a farm girl and I imagine many women of that generation followed that style. I laughed at Sally doing something impetuous with her hair. It probably was inspired by the new fashion trends of the 1920s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I get the impression from photos that both Sally and her sister Hildur did try tp keep up with the fashion of their time, when it came to the length of new dresses etc. But that's probably as far as they could stretch. (I keep wondering WHO she let cut her hair... A professional, or a friend?)

      Delete
  4. Great match to the prompt! My youngest sister grew her hair so long she could actually sit on it. She finally had it cut short & couldn't believe how lightweight her head & neck felt. She kept laughing & turning her head from side to side & up & down, exhilarating in the freedom, & she hasn't worn it long since. I recently had my hair cut quite short, but don't like it, so am growing it out again. Gonna take a while, though, so I'll have to be patient. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LaN. A short bob kind of haircut is really the only thing that works for me these days.

      Delete