A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2023-05-20

Introducing Baby Bertil - Sepia Saturday 673

Eleven months into my grandparents' marriage (cf. previous post), towards the end of August 1931, my father made his entrance... 

 

As far as I know, the first photo of him that exists is this one from Christmas 1931, i.e. when he was about 4 months old - sitting on his mother's lap, by the Christmas tree.


This photo of him with his mother Sally and grandma Selma must be from when he was around 1 year old (i.e. late summer 1932).


And I suppose this one, with both his parents, is from a year later still. Here I think he looks much like I did myself at that age (25 years later) - haircut, "frock", stockings, shoes and all!! 



Here he's been given a more boyish look at last, wearing knickerbocker kind of trousers, and a cap on his head... Hugging a teddy bear rather than a bat; but this is as close as I'll get to matching this week's Sepia Saturday theme! 


Linking to Sepia Saturday 673



5 comments:

  1. Oh what fun looking at your father when he was a tyke. My father looked like I did as a baby, thus I kept getting labeled, just like her dad. I didn't mind, was really flattered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Very nice trip through his first three years. In letters home, my mother said I looked just like my father and he said I did not. Not sure if I did as a baby, but as I got older I sure did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I add my Awww, too! Your father was at the best age to appear in a photograph. All smiles and full of joy. I have a theory that most family photo albums are mainly filled with pictures of young children. Babies are adorable, reasonably static, and easy to photograph. Toddlers are cute, cooperate in posing, and have faces filled with wonderful expressions. But as children grow they become more mobile, less charming, more moody, and they aren't as photogenic. So they slowly disappear from family photos until they become parents themselves!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pix of your Dad. As I grew up I looked more & more like my Dad. I remember one time walking up to the reception desk at my Dad's place of work when I was in my 20s. The receptionist had never seen me before & had no idea I was coming to see my Dad. But when she looked up at me, she simply pointed and told me my Dad's desk was "over there". Wow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have those photos of your dad as a baby and toddler. That last photo is a nice match for the prompt -- especially with his baseball-like cap!

    ReplyDelete