A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2023-05-27

Sally and her Cats - Sepia Saturday 674

In my own childhood (1950s/60s) my grandparents Sally and Gustaf had dogs (one at a time), and no cats. But photos in Sally's album show that before that, they had cats.

"With Sara on my arm"

This first photo (blurry and faded) might possibly be from before they got married, when Sally was still living on the farm (<1930). The ones below I'd say are all from the 1940s.
  
"With Purran"


"With Purran and Max"


"Max ringing in Christmas"



(There are bells hanging from the lamp...)

"Liss drinking"


"With Purran on the sofa"

The woman to the left is a friend of the family, I think her name was Sonja. The young man is my dad (born 1931) in his mid teens or so. 

"Three generations"






6 comments:

  1. They look happy with their cats! Except your father, he looks sort of ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cats in your family! I agree with Kristin...too bad your father was caught with that look while the women are stunning with their hair done up. I looks like several of those photos were taken at the same time...with cats as the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great kitty-cat pix. I love the name Purran. :) The photo of your father, in his mid-teens or so, appearing uninterested in the women & the cats, is probably pretty typical of a mid-range teenage boy - back then, or currently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My theory about the photo with my dad in it is that he was the only one aware of my grandfather taking the photo, but not realising that he was going to be in the picture himself... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! Not just one but nine photos to match our cat theme! "Purran" sounds like a "purrrfect" name for a cat but maybe it has a different sound and meaning in Swedish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, the vowel sound in Swedish is a bit different but I think the origin of the word is the same :)

      Delete