A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2023-05-13

1930 Weddings - Sepia Saturday 672

In my post for Sepia Saturday 670, I showed the house that my grandparents Sally and Gustaf built and moved into after their wedding in September 1930. Three months later, Sally's sister Hildur and her husband Olle moved in upstairs in the same house; until they built their own just a few minutes walk away. In between, their brother Nils also got married to his Carin. (They did not live in the same house, but not all that far away.) It was a year of change for the whole family.

Gustaf & Sally
23.9.1930


Nils & Carin
(30.11.1930)

I'm afraid I don't have a wedding photo of Nils & Carin. I also can't recall ever having seen one. (If they had one taken, maybe just one for themselves, and no copies made to share?) Here, I'm inserting another image of the two of them from the same year. (Cropped from a group photo, cf. SS 670.)


Olle & Hildur
30.12.1930

In the parish register, all three siblings' weddings follow one after the other on the same page:


The register also includes their 'occupations', date of birth and where they were from. 

Gustaf ('journalist', born 1904 - and registered as living at Nysäter, which was the name of their new home) and Sally ('stay-at-home-daughter', born 1900), got married on 23 September 1930 (a Tuesday).

Nils ('haulage owner', born 1902) and Karin ('seamstress', born 1903),  got married on 30 November 1930 (a Sunday) 

Olof ('carpenter', born 1892) and Hildur (no occupation mentioned, but she was a stay-at-home-daughter too - born 1892), got married on 30 December 1930 (a Tuesday)

The register also includes the name of the parson (etc) performing the ceremony. I'm afraid the handwritten entries do not make it all easy to decipher unknown names, but I think my grandparents may have been married by a vicar by name of Hasselrot - whom Sally mentions in a letter to Gustaf (4 April 1930), and who seems to have been a favourite with her (as she was obviously keen to go and listen to him, and wanting Gustaf to come along with her). 

Alas, I can't recall having seen any amateur photos from either of the weddings. Looking up the dates, I note that Gustaf & Sally as well as Olle & Hildur got married on a weekday, which I suppose supports  that they probably just had close family (living locally) present as witnesses, and no "big fuss"... Even so, the lack of any additional photos is still a bit puzzling to me, considering that Gustaf was a keen photographer as well as a journalist.  


So I'm afraid I can't I can't include any photos of wedding guests wearing interesting hats, for...

Sepia Saturday 672








23 Sept 1930
Gustaf Adolf Johansson Thulin, journalist fr. Nysäter (f 23.6.1904)
Sally Maria Emanuelsson, hemmadtr. fr. Länghem Storeg:n (f 3.2. 1900)

30 Nov 1930
Nils Helmer Emanuelsson, Åkeriäg., Öreberg, Sparsör (f 17.8.1902)
Karin Augusta Maltida Abrahamsson, sömm:a fr Skogslid (f 9.2.1903)

30 Dec 1930
Olof Albin Hellsten, snickare fr. Viskadal (f 20.9 1892)
Hildur Svea Viola Lundgren, Länghem Storeg:n (f 14.5.1892)

12 comments:

  1. Sally and Hildur certainly do look like sisters. I never noticed before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I never really thought they resembled each other much myself. They were half-sisters - same mother, different fathers.

      Delete
  2. Great to have the registry of their weddings, and two wedding photos of the brides in the family. It's good you at least have the snapshot of brother and his new wife. And I certainly think veils held onto heads by "what are they called anyway?" are like hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I can't think of a name for it in Swedish either... ;-)

      Delete
  3. I believe the pieces holding the veils for Sally & Hildur were called headdresses and should be considered hats of a sort in their own right. Looking back at the small headdress-type hats with small veils that just covered the front of the face popular in the 1960s, I'd say Sally's & Hildur's veil headdresses were every bit as much of a hat as those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 1930s head-pieces/veils. I have no intention of every marrying again but I would have loved to wear one of these on my wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, they do seem to have been "the fashion" just then!

      Delete
  5. I may have missed it in previous posts, but I didn't realize that Sally was older than Gustaf. The hats and veils are lovely. I also love that stay-at-home daughter was listed as an occupation (which in truth, it was -- much like housewife or keeping house).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, I did write a bit about the age difference between them in earlier posts. Going through old photos I've come to the conclusion that Gustaf was a childhood friend of her brother Nils (who was two years younger than Sally, and two years older than Gustaf). From later letters I draw the conclusion that Gustaf had romantic feelings for Sally already back in his teens, but as she was four years older, it did not occur to her to think of him the same way until much later. (It was around Easter 1926 that G - then not yet 22 - openly declared himself in love with her, which evidently took her by surprise. I'm not sure exactly how long it took them from there to sort things out. But in 1929 they got engaged... He 25 years old by then, she 29.) - I agree about the 'stay-at-home daughter' thing, from Sally's letters it's certainly clear that she did her share of the work at the farm.

      Delete
  6. Having the three couples next to each other on the parish register is an interesting coincidence. My wife and I had a simple civil service at a London registry office, and signing the book seemed to be the great ceremony that really made if official. My father had his camera ready to record the moment, but was stopped by the registrar who forbid any photos of the book. Do you think Sally and Hildur made their wedding dresses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I don't think that either Sally or Hildur was a skilled enough seamstress to make their own wedding dress. A simple 'everyday' summer dress perhaps, but not something as important as a wedding dress. In some letter Sally also mentions going to "collect" a new dress and coat - which I interpret as she probably bought the fabric, but paid someone else to do the sewing. - Carin (Nils' fiancé/wife) was a seamstress (I think in one of the textile factories in town), so possibly she might have been involved - but on the other hand, her factory job + preparations for her own wedding probably kept her busy enough...

      Delete