A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2024-07-10

At the Seaside - Sepia Saturday 731-732

 


Laxvik Havsbad (Sea Bath),Trönninge (Halland, Sweden)

Postcard sent to my dad in August 1943, from his friend Olle.
Dad was 12 years old in 1943, so presumably Olle was around the same age.





Laxvik 6 August 1943

Hello! Thanks for the letter, I was so happy to get it.
It's raining just now when I'm writing this.
 I will be going back home from the summer holiday soon.
I'm swimming a lot, would you believe it -
I'll soon be beating Björn Borg*.
Greetings from your friend Olle


*Björn Borg, born 1919, was a famous Swedish swimmer

Björn Borg
(photo from Wikipedia)


This post would have been a better
match for Sepia Saturday 731... 


. . but I didn't get it done in time, so
instead I'm linking to 
Sepia Saturday 732...
 




8 comments:

  1. The link is fine! It's a great card - all sorts of people & things going on in the photo. And it looks so cool. Right now, as I sit here keying this comment it is 110F outside. Thank goodness for air conditioning!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swedish summer is rather unpredictable. This year, so far, May was the month that was the sunniest and warmest here - while the schools were still open and the major holiday period had not yet started... July so far has been rather rainy.

      Delete
  2. Great card with a photo of people enjoying the water and the little puddles in the rocks! I even remember hearing about Björn Borg, and I have no idea why...except maybe when Mark Spitz came along, maybe he was mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, later on, around the 1970s, we also had a famous tennis player by the same name. The swimmer was famous before my time, and I had to look him up now.

      Delete
  3. What a great photo! I always love seeing those old bathing suits. Its a wonder swimmers could get up any speed back then given the weight of wet cloth they had to pull through the water. Good thing it rained the day the post card was written so you have it to share with us. Such an inviting scene on these hot July days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, July has been rather chilly and rainy here so far. Looking at this old card it strikes me though (I had to look it up) that it was not until 1938 that workers here got two weeks paid holiday per year (by law); and that no doubt increased the number of people spending some time on the coast in the summer.

      Delete
  4. This was a perfect beach scene for our watery theme. There is something comforting, even encouraging, about a simple vacation greeting between friends sent in August 1943 when so many terrible things were happening around the world. I expect many Swedes at the time must have been very concerned for the protection Sweden's neutrality provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt that was so, Mike. Children are often rather good at appreciating the "here and now", though, aren't they... I'm also thinking it was perhaps easier back then to take a break even from the world news when you went off on holiday for a week or two. No mobile phones to keep you updated all the time, and no TV!

      Delete