A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2022-01-22

G.084.02-03 - Postcards from Sally (1916) - Sepia Saturday 605

 G.084.02

Wermland. Utsikt från Enkullen.

View from a hill in  the Swedish province Värmland.
There seems to be more than one place/hill called Enkullen,
so I'm not sure of the exact locality.   



 


To: Herr Gustav Ekman, Backa, Brålanda
From: Sally  (Storegården, Fristad, 27.3.1916)

Storegården den 27/3 1916
K.br. [Käre bror] Gustav! Hjärtligt tack för brevet som jag fått. Det var roligt att Gustav svara mig så snart. Vi äro någorlunda bra här. Hoppas att Gustav också mår bra. Idag har det snöat mycket här. Undrar om Ni har mycket snö däruppe. Känner Gustav igen denna platsen i Wermland? Kanske han ej gör det. Undrar om Gustav är kvar i Dalsland ännu, eller han har flyttat till sin gård nu i mars eller han har sålt sin gård. Nu har vi snart påsk igen, tänk vad tiden går fort. Jag har inget mer att skriva om nu emedan Karl skrev igår. Nu de allra hjärtligaste hälsningar från oss alla här. Skriv snart, voro roligt. Må så gott. Vänligen Sally E.  - 
Det är visst mycket vackert i Wermland.

Ett vykort med ovanligt mycket text-innehåll, skrivet av min farmor Sally när hon var 16 år, till hennes äldre halvbror Gustaf, 37, då bosatt i Dalsland sedan några år. Jag noterar att hon inte tilltalar honom med "du" utan i tredje person, med namn eller "han". Under större delen av Sallys liv har han varit en frånvarande bror. Han och systern Gerda utvandrade till Amerika när Sally bara var ett par år gammal, och återvände först 1911. Då bodde Gustaf dock antagligen på Storegården under ett par år, innan han våren 1913 flyttade upp till Värmland. 1914 flyttade han sedan till Brålanda i Dalsland. 

På det här kortet dyker det dock upp ny information för mig: Tydligen Gustaf på något sätt förvärvat en egen gård - och inte i Dalsland, utan någon annanstans. (Kanske Värmland?? Om Sally valde vykortet av en anledning??)  Detta får mig att undra om Gustaf kanske faktiskt vid något tillfälle vann pengar på lotteri, som några tidigare kort från systern Gerda fått mig att undra om han ett tag satte sitt hopp till. Hur som helst är det oklart om han tänkt flytta till denna gård, eller sälja den. 

Eftersom adresserna på senare vykort visar han var kvar i Brålanda även 1917, och sedan flyttade tillbaka till Storegården 1918, så antar jag att han kom fram till att inte satsa på att driva eget jordbruk utan sälja.


Storegården 27.3.1916
Dear Brother Gustav, Thank you so much for the letter that I received. I was happy to hear back from you so soon. We are all pretty well here; I hope you are too. Today we had a lot of snow here.* I'm wondering if you have a lot of snow up there, too. Do you recognize this place in Wermland? Perhaps you don't. I wonder if you are still in Dalsland, or if you have moved to your own farm now in March, or if you have sold your farm. Now Easter is coming up again soon, doesn't time fly! I haven't got much more to write about since Karl wrote yesterday. So I'll just send you the very best wishes from all of us here. Please write soon. Warmest regards, Sally E. - I understand Wermland is very beautiful.

This is an unusually long text for a postcard; written by my grandmother Sally at age 16, to her older half-brother Gustaf (37), then living at Brålanda in the province Dalsland. In the Swedish text I note that she is using a respectful way of addressing him that has long since been abandoned here - in the 3rd person. For the major part of Sally's life (so far), Gustaf had been an absent much older half-brother. Sally was not yet 2 years old when Gustaf and his sister Gerda emigrated to America in their early twenties. When they returned from America, she was 11, and then Gustaf did live at the family farm for a couple of years. But in 1913 he moved to Värmland, and then in 1914 to Brålanda, in the province Dalsland, where he is still living in 1916. 

There is some new information for me on this card, though: From what Sally writes, it seems that somehow, Gustaf has acquired a property of his own. (And not in Dalsland. Perhaps in Värmland? And that's why Sally chose a card from there?) This makes me wonder if after all at some point Gustaf did win a sum of money in the lottery - which has been implied on cards from his sister Gerda that he may have taken a chance on a few times. Whatever the story behind that, it seems he hasn't made up his mind about whether to actually move to that place, or to sell it. 

As later postcards show that Gustaf was still living at Brålanda in 1917, and in 1918 moved back to Storegården in Fristad, I can only suppose that he decided not to go into farming on his own after all. 

G.084.03

Ljusdals kyrka med Klockstapel

Church with separate bell tower in Ljusdal,
in the Swedish province Hälsingland.  


To: Herr Gustav Ekman, Backa, Brålanda
From: Sally (Storegården, Fristad) [June 1916]

Hjärtliga lyckönskningar på namnsdagen av samtliga i Storeg. 
Vi äro någorlunda friska här, hoppas Gustav också mår bra. Nils skall konfirmeras i nästa vecka. Skriv snart så vi får höra något från Gustav. De allra käraste hälsningar från oss till Gustav. Vänligen, Sally

Detta kort är odaterat, men någon före mig har gissat på 1916. Det stämmer antagligen, då Nils var född 17.8.1902 och året man fyllde 14 nog var den vanliga åldern för att konfirmeras. (Så var det fortfarande när jag själv konfirmerades 1969.) 

Kan inte påminna mig att jag sett något konfirmationsfoto av Nils (och inte heller av Sally) i foto-albumen. Det finns väldigt få foton tagna före ca mitten av 1920-talet (när någon uppenbarligen skaffade kamera). 

Heartfelt congratulations on your Name Day from all of us at Storegården. We are pretty well here, and hope you are well, too. Nils will be confirmed [in the church] next week. Please write soon and let us have some news from you. Our very best wishes from us all to you. Warmest regards, Sally.

There is no date on this postcard, but someone before me has guessed at 1916. This is most likely correct, as Nils was born 1902, and 14 was probably the usual age to be confirmed back then  (as it still was when I was confirmed myself in 1969). 

I can't recall seeing any confirmation photo of Nils (nor of Sally) in the photo albums. There are very few photos taken before the mid 1920s or so (when someone evidently got a camera). 


Linking to Sepia Saturday 605


"Today we had a lot of snow here.
I'm wondering if you have a lot of snow up there, too."



8 comments:

  1. What lovely penmanship Sally had! Thanks for letting us get to know her and her half brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I agree she had a very nice handwriting, especially considering that she only went to school for six or seven years. She never had any secondary education but lived and worked on the farm until she married my grandfather when she was 30 years old.

      Delete
  2. This has been such fun getting to know these people through the postcards and notes. How lucky you are to have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LaN. I feel I'm getting to know them this way myself. My grandmother used to tell me stories from her childhood sometimes, but one thing I never quite grasped until much later in life was the vast age difference between her and her older half-siblings.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Barbara, Sally's handwriting is very polished and artful which of course makes it easier for the family historian to decipher. I hope you can discover more about Gustaf's mysterious lottery. It adds a nice plot line to your story. I'm intrigued by this old convention of addressing elders in the 3rd person. Was it a custom in other Scandinavian languages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too admire graceful, elegant handwriting like Sally's I wish I could write like that.

      Delete
    2. Mike, not having all that many written postcards from the WWI years left to examine, I kind of doubt I'll ever get to the bottom of the lottery mystery. But who knows! - As for the old custom of addressing elders or strangers in the 3rd person (he/she), I'm not really familiar enough with Norwegian or Danish to say if it's been the same there. In Swedish nowadays we usually say "du" to everyone (except the royals). Back in my childhood one usually said "ni" to grown-up strangers (cf. German "Sie", French "vous" etc). But one could also still come across the "he/she" variant used by elderly people. (But I guess I'm mostly familiar with that from old novels and films.) Back in my grandmother's day, I think it was still common for children to address their parents in the 3rd person ("what would mother like?" rather than "what would you like?"). Actually, thinking back, I think I even addressed some elderly relatives that way myself in my childhood (although perhaps not consistently). And my parents too sometimes - even later in life, but then kind of half-jokingly.

      Delete
  4. Another wonderful set of your family photographs. My favourite was the scenic snow Irwin of Ljusdals.

    ReplyDelete