A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2022-02-06

G.085.03 - G.086.01 - "I hope you don't forget your English" (1916) - Sepia Saturday 606

May 1916. Gerda is back in Lyon again, after the trip to the French riviera earlier in the spring (cf. previous post). Within a week, she writes two postcards to her brother Gustaf in Sweden: One in English,  posted in Lyon. The other in Swedish, and posted in Switzerland by a friend. She still obviously does not trust the wartime postal services. But she is also trying to encourage Gustaf not to forget the English he learned during his years in America (1902-11). It's been five years now since they both returned from there to Sweden. In her own employments as lady's maid and travel companion to wealthy ladies, Gerda has found continued use of her English (and has by now probably also learned some French). Gustaf, working on Swedish farms, most likely has not had much chance to practice his English at all since he returned.  

To me, Gerda's postcards written in English prove that she not only learned to speak the language but also to write it quite fluently. Considering she never had any higher education (probably just 6-7 years of school in Sweden), I find that quite impressive. It makes me wonder if she had the opportunity to attend some evening classes during her years in Chicago, or if she just learned from "picking things up" and reading papers etc. 

G.085.03 - Lyon 

399. - LYON.- Perspective des Ponts sur le Rhône - E.R.

To: Herr Gustaf Ekman, Backa, Brålanda, Suède (Sweden)
From: Gerda (Lyon, 24.5.1916)

Lyon d. 24 maj '16
Dear B[rother],  How are you. It is a long time since I heard from you. Perhaps it is my turn to write, I forgot. If so I hope you will forgive me. Best love from Gerda. -  I hope you don't forgot your english. I will send you some papers.  -  When I come home we will speak english all the time but I don't know when yet.

Lyon d. 24 maj '16
Käre bror, hur mår du. Det är länge sedan jag hörde från dig. Kanske är det min tur att skriva, jag minns inte. Om så är hoppas jag du förlåter mig. Kära hälsningar från Gerda. - Jag hoppas du inte glömt din engelska. Jag ska skicka dig några tidningar. -  När jag kommer hem ska vi prata engelska hela tiden, men jag vet inte när än. 


G.086.01 - Nice

66 - NICE-CIMIEZ - HOTEL RIVIERA PALACE
Edition GILETTA. - Nice



To: Mr Gustaf Ekman, Backa, Brålanda, Suède (Schweden)
From: Gerda (written in Lyon 1.6.1916 - posted in Bern, Switzerland 6.6. 1916)

K. bror! Sänder dig de hjärtligaste lyckönskningar på Gustaf-dagen! Hoppas det kommer i tid. Här kan du se hotellet som vi bodde på när vi var ute på resa. Jag märker våra rum X. Jag sänder dig några engelska tidningar, tänkte du tycker om att läsa dem. Kära hälsningar, syster Gerda.  -  Skriv snart  -  Jag har en god vän i Schweiz som sänder detta kort.

Dear Brother, I'm sending you my best wishes for Gustaf-day  [Gustaf's name-day, 6 June]. I hope it will arrive on time. [It obviously didn't.] Here you can see the hotel where we stayed on our trip. I'm marking our rooms with X. I'm sending you some English newspapers, I thought you might like to read them. Love, sister Gerda. -  Write soon  -  I have a friend in Switzerland who will post this card. 

Linking to Sepia Saturday 606 
(same as last week, since no new prompt for this week)


"Perhaps it is my turn to write"


11 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting, ongoing story of Gerda and her communication with her brother. I am really enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it messes up a pristine postcard, but I like it when someone makes a mark to make it more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful set of cards. I've been wondering about Gerda's education and now I'm very impressed at her language skills. I expect that people in service like Gerda, had more frequent encounters with others from the servant classes who must have come from a wide range of European nationalities. A lady's maid who was a skilled linguist would have been an valuable employee.

    Like Kathy, I like postcards that are marked with an X on the front, usually for "Here I am". Three Xs is rare though, so Gerda's lady must have stayed at a first class suite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I agree, the marking of these three windows on the hotel do emphasize the impression that Gerda's lady was not on a strict budget :) I still really have no clue as to whether the lady was married or single, though. (Perhaps a wealthy widow?)

      Delete
  4. I've also enjoyed Gerda and her brother's correspondence, and yes to "X" marks the spot. I wonder if SS will have a prompt this week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I do hope the prompts will be back. Even if not, my plan is to continue to explore the rest of Gerda's cards from WW1 + a few more beyond as well, though.

      Delete
    2. OK, I've added your blog to my blogs I'm following list...hope to see you there at least!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Barbara, I added yours too. The Sepia post for this week is up now though, I just noticed :)

      Delete
  5. Agree with Barbara -- having the X on the rooms where Gerda stayed is priceless!

    ReplyDelete