A 'Swenglish' journey through family photos, notes and postcards
from the early 20th century.

2019-06-02

Another Pleasantville Interlude (~ 1930)

Way back in September 2012, I wrote a post entitled Summer in Pleasantville 1933. I had one photo of Gerda, posing on some kind of brick terrace, and with 'Pleasantville 1933' written on the back. And another of her in a garden with two little boys, which looked like it might be from the same time and place. I knew Gerda was working for Estelle Manville-Bernadotte and her husband Count Folke Bernadotte (from Sweden) at the time. I also knew Estelle's parents lived in Pleasantville; and furthermore, that Folke Bernadotte represented Sweden at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair - which made it likely that the whole family had been to the US that summer - lady's maid/housekeeper Gerda included.

Over the years that followed, I had emails from two or three people who happened to come across my blog posts in their own internet searches to do with Pleasantville, and who could confirm - in one way or another - that those photos of Gerda were indeed from the Manville estate.

One of those emails, received in July 2014, got put aside because I had little time just then for my family research projects. I happened to find it again the other day, and realised that I never got round to adding those photos to the blog. I have remedied that now, in a post that I decided to "back-date" to 2014: Hi-Esmaro, Pleasantville - Again. One photo shows the house in 1925; the other is from 1978, shortly before it was demolished.

On second thought, I'll include these photos here, too 
- for comparison with some more to follow below...





After I had finished that back-dated blog post yesterday, I was flickering through Gerda's photo album agian. It's a very challenging collection, because not only are the photos very small, and some of them of poor quality - but they have also been firmly glued into the album in no particular order, and with no notes or dates whatsoever. (And as the separate album pages can't be removed, scanning the images is tricky, too.)

Now, with that 1925 image of the Hi-Esmaro estate fresh in mind... Suddenly another photo in the album jumps out at me. Surely this looks like it could be from Hi-Esmaro as well - from another angle?


I'm guessing Gerda is the one in the middle.
And then surely, the photo below shows the same three ladies:


And then I suppose this photo could be from there as well
(even if it could also be somewhere else)


And perhaps this one?



No comments:

Post a Comment